We help clients understand, investigate, clear, protect, transfer and license their intellectual property rights, and we draft, review and negotiate related legal agreements.
While we do not prepare and file patent applications, we have ready access to the resources of experienced patent prosecution colleagues.
We represent clients in business transactions driven by intellectual property. We advise regarding, and prepare and negotiate:
- Strategic alliances and joint ventures agreements
- Asset sales and spinouts
- Co-development agreements
- Outsourcing and service agreements
- OEM, distribution and reseller agreements
- Advertising, marketing and Co-branding agreements
- Technology, software, content licenses
- IP ownership analysis, due diligence in M&A translations
We represent local and regional clients in a range of industries in protecting and managing their trademarks, business and domain names. We advise on clearance and potential risks, recommend strategy, give opinions on registrability and infringement, prepare and file applications, respond to examiners, attend to registration, send cease and desist letters, start or defend against cancellation actions and oppositions, negotiate coexistence arrangements and settlements, draft and review agreements for licensing and transferring trade marks and trade mark rights and, where necessary, refer enforcement and defense matters to litigation counsel.
We advise content providers, owners, and licensees on copyright issues. We assist with copyright registration, licensing, transfer of ownership, and works for hire disputes involving employee authorship and scope of employment issues. We counsel on scope of copyright protection, fair use issues, derivative works, statutory exemptions, public performance rights, Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA) of 1998.
Trade Secrets; NDAs
We counsel clients regarding protection of intellectual property from misappropriation by third parties and employees through the use of employee and proprietary agreements, including non-competition, non-solicitation and non-disclosure agreements. Counsel regarding trade secret identification, Uniform Trade Secrets Act (UTSA) preemption, inevitable disclosure issues, terms of invention assignment agreements.
Trade Secrets FAQs
We advise clients on how they can collect, use, and share data, and address privacy requirements in a way that enables compliance with flexibility.
- We help clients create, enhance, and audit privacy and data security policies and programs
- We develop and implement compliance programs
- We counsel clients on compliance with regulations related to advertising and marketing in new media, including the use of endorsements and user-generated content
We advise on U.S. federal, state, privacy laws, including:
- California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (CCPA)
- California Privacy Rights Act of 2020 (CPRA)
- EU General Data Protection Regulation of 2019 (GDPR)
- Electronic Communication Privacy Act (ECPA)
- Stored Communications Act (SCA)
- Video Privacy Protection Act (VPPA)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA)
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA)
- Illinois 2008 Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA)
- State data breach notification laws